Monday, April 6, 2009

No matter how hard we try, how much we wish, how much prayer, time and energy we devote… We cannot go back in time. I’d like to think that our present and our future isn’t only a victim of the respective pasts that are all behind us… Undoubtedly and without question, our past experiences have provided us with the meanings that we carry in our hearts and minds daily. Our pasts provide the framework with how we live our daily lives and how we make major decisions…for better or for worse, I don’t know???

I suppose I’d like the paradigm to shift, I’d like to truly only hold onto lessons but drop the pain, cling to the meanings without the mourning… Live my life with love that will not be bricked up, broken down or fenced in by a past that can no longer hurt me.

Why do we only hold onto the memories that provided us with the most pain??? We always have the burdened thoughts and experiences foremost in our defensive heart and mindsets. This natural defense mechanism, is it one of the best things about being a human being? Or is it one of the worst? I’d give myself injections of “spot treatment amnesia” if I could, or maybe I wouldn’t… Trying to be well adjusted, keeping things on an even keel, waiting, watching the clock... Are these only plains of mediocrity... maybe holding cells, purgatory? I think those mindsets are just ways we handicap ourselves so we won’t get hurt. We get burned by the fires and curse ourselves to darkness and cold. Yet we still can’t for the life in us figure out why we walk around carrying the very baggage that poisons us… If you constantly inject yourself with poison, you’re going to walk around feeling sick. If we never really find our heart, or at least make a commitment to ourselves to find our heart, we are dooming ourselves to pain by tiny, tiny increments… I don’t want to paint in somber tones here. I’d much rather light candles than curse the darkness… I will make the full concession that time can be on your side, but I default to the stance that my time is only getting smaller, every single day.

I say let go of the poison, release it from your heart. Make a commitment to yourself and those you love. Tell them everyday that they bring you joy. That they make your life better and you don’t tell them often enough. Set yourself free. Do not tolerate those who would be frivolous with your love and your heart. Be fierce with your loyalties. Don’t give up. Faith and Love can grow. Your past brought you to today. Your still alive, all good things in this world remain here for you; they wait only for you to grab them with both hands.


Although we can never go back and make a new beginning, we can … start now and make a new ending… We are not prisoners of our pasts. We are survivors of our pasts. We learn, we live, we love… We try… We grow, we change, and we get better, smarter. If we allow ourselves, we can improve ourselves daily in everyway… Learn from your past, don’t be a prisoner to it.

Tune of the day
“Lucky”
By jason mraz colbie caillat

No comments:

Post a Comment