Thursday, April 2, 2009

How do you know... when you know ? ? ? How do you know when your ready ? ? ? This will most likely be a predictable rant, this is just where my thoughts went today. Little about love, little about hope, lots about shedding fear based logic from your life...
I learned a very important lesson quite late in life, I learned the difference between missing someone and missing anyone.
Once upon a time, I would arrive home to my empty house, go through a mindless routine, prepare for the next day. I hated my empty home, hated every stick of furniture, every square inch of living area, my home felt like a jail cell.…
After a little prayer, reflection, meditation and time, I didn't mind living alone, I accepted it, I came and went, stayed out late, truly embraced the bachelor lifestyle. I did my best to put the energy of what I wanted out there in the universe…. Then, … before I could realize what was happening, I met someone, I got a feeling about them, I knew that I wanted to know more…
A kiss turns into hundreds of kisses, you want to touch them every time your close enough to. You leap to your phone when you hear an email or text hit the inbox... One of the most wonderful things about the mystery of human chemistry is that some people actually feel like home. The way they smell, how they feel under your hands, their taste, the way they walk, talk, .. all of it. Your heart beats faster and slower at the same time when your near them… Its truly terrific...
One of my favorite songs of all time, "Anna Begins", summarizes quite nicely the moment when you know your about to hit a crossroads with your heart……

"Then we're gonna have to think about the consequences,"she can't stop shaking and I can't stop touching her and...This time when kindness falls like rain It washes her away.
And Anna begins to change her mind."These seconds when I'm shaking leave me shuddering for days,"And I'm not ready for this sort of thing.
"Anna", may claim she's not ready for this sort of thing, but listen to the rest of the song…

The aforementioned "crossroads" is a wonderful place to find yourself, … IF… you allow yourself to believe that you deserve happiness beyond your realm of comprehension.

I heard a great analogy once. Upon a lengthy argument between two ultra competitive individuals, one who competed professionally in a sport, the other had always only performed a training aspect of athletes who actually competed… Some strong opinions were offered, ultimately, anger prevailed and the athlete who competed simply closed his argument with,...
"Yeah, you’re a damn world class swimmer that’s never been in the pool"…
I always liked that analogy, furthermore, I like to incorporate the analogy in how I think about matters of the proverbial heart. I think that the vast majority of us live our emotional and spiritual lives like world class swimmers who refuse to go near the water…. It's far too predictable to think now that someone reading this is saying to themselves in their best verklempt inner voice, "I don't know how to swim"…. Bullshit. Just because your scared of the water is not to say you don't know how to swim….
Start with getting wet, its always easier that way. (that’s meant to be a little dirty)
I guess this blog is just another proclamation to not give up hope. Take your time, go slow, be cautious, guard your heart, but ultimately I say place your heart and soul at hazard, in those moments of vulnerability you actually can find life worth living... Try to be part of someone's world, allow them to be part of yours…
Falling is hard, staying there takes effort. If there is one chance in ten million to fall in love with someone that makes your heart beat fast and slow at the same time…
Wouldn't you take that chance ?
Tune of the day:
100 in a 55
By Pop Evil

1 comment:

  1. Good song choice, on both accounts. And good points! My jaded personality wants to speak up and say that I've come so near to drowning and been resuscitated so many times that I've learned to keep my sinking ass out of the water! And seeing those I love almost drown has been traumatic to the soul. But I guess I have to consider those rare few who have Michael-Phelps-ed their way to victory and believe that I too can be one of them. Of course, I also had a longing to be Mary Lou Retton and that didn't get me much past one year of balance beam in the 4th grade. Maybe I'll get in the shallow end of the pool wearing a life jacket and see if it's a promising start...

    So for arguments sake, what if falling isn't hard - it's easy? One may be so intensely guarded that they don't allow themself to be in a situation where they might fall, but maybe it's because when they do, they tend to fall very easily. Those types of people often also tend to lose their sense of perspective and end up deeper into a situation than they would objectively choose to go. That is - they lose their "outside perspective"... We all have those people in our lives who are in relationships that we just don't understand what they're sticking around for, but they don't see it at all! We've probably all even been in one of those as some point in time. Then in hindsight we get the "what was I thinking - why couldn't I see that?" perspective.

    That is my new mystery - how do you control your "falling" emotional state enough to fall just deep enough to be open and vulnerable but not so deep that you're an idiot?

    ReplyDelete