Wednesday, April 15, 2009

“The world was on fire and no one could save me but you, its strange what desire will make foolish people do”… from Chris Isaak’s “Wicked Game”…

I love this song, I’m not sure that the “world is always on fire”, and I think that the most valuable resource of who can save us is ourselves… I do however, agree unequivocally with what Chris Isaak wrote when he said “it’s strange what desire will make foolish people do”… Not a lot of people will try to tie in Chris Isaak and Fyodor Dostoevsky, but here goes… This is what ole Fyodor has to say about foolish people:

“I could not become anything: neither bad nor good, neither a scoundrel nor an honest man, neither a hero nor an insect. And now I am eking out my days in my corner, taunting myself with the bitter and entirely useless consolation that an intelligent man cannot seriously become anything; that only a fool can become something.”

Sounds like Fyodor would support my claim to follow your heart, if we tie both Chris and Fyodor in here; together I think we can make a collaborative push… To truly seek out what we desire and allow ourselves to do foolish things in an effort to be happy… Otherwise, we’re just eking our days out in our corners…

I know I’ve spent plenty of time in my “corner” and I know I’m trying everyday to allow my truest desires to allow me to be totally honest with myself and my loved ones, as I know this is what drives my happiness.

I know I love being crazy about someone. I love remembering every morning, before my feet ever hit the floor, how spectacular it is to truly want and adore someone. You can feel them under your hands long after they’ve gone, taste them on your lips, you talk to them when their not there. They become the voice inside your head, the opinion you can’t live without. This realignment of your perceptions can change your life... You can hardly stand to sit across the table from them at dinner; it just feels too far away… You check your phone 100 times a day, a simple text or email turns into an hours worth of smiling… Sometimes you have to make yourself go to sleep just to stop day dreaming about them, in your dreams you still find them…. and your so pleased that you do… It’s my contention that staying in love like this will be the single most important part of your life on this earth.

I’ve found that most times when anyone will speak passionately about love and how much they adore someone, inevitably there are always nay sayers, who claim that they’ve never been in love, never found anyone worth loving and moreover don’t believe in love at all… I always try to pull the conversation away from love and focus on where they do draw their happiness from, or what they desire… “What people like” is just as important as “What they are like”… Usually after someone shifts their focus from what they feel or don’t feel about love and focus on something that brings them joy, usually there are places people mention that will take you to people who have similar interests and similar likes… Usually these people will admit to having some sort of feeling or connection to these people. However, when we really pin down those who claim they don’t believe in love, I’ve found what they really don’t believe in is following their desires to the point of foolishness...
I’m certainly not saying that love can only happen with “like” creatures, I know that love abounds everywhere, opposites may very well attract, just like Paula told us… I know that there is happiness in the world for everyone. Everybody needs someone. We may very well meet and experience many people who will teach us many lessons. The relationship that holds your heart true is only supposed to work once…One of my deepest fears is that there are people in this world that don’t take their own happiness seriously...

Knowing that you’re a better person because someone has come into your life will energize you… Maybe we are that great person every single day all on our own… I’m not debating that issue here... We’re all beautiful unique snowflakes and that is all good and well. I’m simply saying one of the sweetest moments of my life is the recognition of the feeling that I know I don’t want to live without. Once you’ve truly felt it, you can’t remember how you ever got along without it. I don’t doubt there are those who may read this and have absolutely no clue what I’m talking about... To these people I say this… Try harder. I sat around a long time in my life feeling sorry for myself, waiting for something to happen. I try to be the reason that good things happen to me. Your love and your happiness will not happen by accident.

I know at any given time we are all scared about needing someone… We fear that the second someone knows that we need them, they will one day very soon, use that need against us…Although I may not be thrilled all the time about needing someone, I know in my heart of hearts, I need to need them… I know me; I know that when I’m the most vulnerable, I’m feeling the most alive…


My general philosophy about relationships borrows heavily from ideas of Andy Stanley, senior minister of North Point Community Church. I do believe in a creator, that this world didn’t happen by accident. That my life is a gift, just like everyone else’s. I want to prove my worth to my creator through the relationship with my partner. That everyday I commit and give myself to my mate. Through love and commitment to my family I will prove my worth to my God, prove my worth for the gift of my life… (I’ll most likely write more on this topic later)

Everyday should be spent loving yourself, loving your mate, loving your family and constantly recognizing the gift of one another and of the time you have together. If we can come together in this way… all else in the world will become much simpler.

Tune of the day
“Arms of a Woman” by Amos Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment